Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mystery of the Familiar Feathers

That last post about the Hardy Boys got me thinking about a little mystery of my own I recently solved.

While perusing the music page of this month's Geek Magazine, I came across this album cover from Montreal alt-rockers The Lovely Feathers.

There was something strangely familiar about the graphics, although I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Further investigation was in order.

TO THE ARCHIVES!
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
(Walks 5 feet to a milk crate of records in the corner of the computer room.)

Ah ha...just as I suspected! It seems The Lovely Feathers have borrowed the font from the 1968 soundtrack album for the Disneyland attraction The Enchanted Tiki Room!

But allo...wotts this? Flipping the Tiki Room album over, it looks like they also stole a drawing of a tropical flower, then tried to disguise their handiwork with a quick and dirty paint job!

To be entered into evidence as Exhibit A:
Just goes to show that most mysteries are solved by meticulous research... not traipsing around haunted-house themed night clubs.

This isn't the first time I've seen the Tiki Room referenced on an album cover. Here's a circa mid-90s sleeve for the Tiki Tones that overtly satirizes the attraction poster... swapping out the birds for a brain in a jar, (presumably that of "Wilt Disner").

Here's the original poster for comparison.

No comments: